Crime Victims - Disbursements And Address Change

Crime Victims - Disbursements And Address Change

  • As a victim of a criminal case you may be entitled to restitution. If this is the case, here are some helpful guidelines:
  • When a defendant makes a payment to the Clerk of Courts, 50% of that payment is applied towards restitution.  There is a 15 day hold on payments unless paid by cash. 
  • Unless ordered by the court, payments made on cases with multiple victims will be divided equally.
  • Under current State Law, the current order of distribution on cases is as follows:
  • Crime Victim Compensation Fund (Act 96 of 1984)
  • Victim Witness Services (Act 111 of 1998)
  • Private Crime Victim Restitution
  • Insurance Company Restitution
  • Fines, Costs, & Fees   

The Clerk of Courts does not have the authority to change the original payees or amounts listed on a restitution order.   You must petition the courts to amend the original order. You may contact the Victim Witness Department for additional information.

  • Unless ordered by the court or while serving jail time, all defendants are expected to make monthly payments toward their fines, costs and restitution. 
  • If the defendant becomes delinquent, they will be scheduled for our next Contempt Court day.
  • It is important to notify the Clerk of Courts and Victim Witness Department if you move or if your address changes.  If our office is unable to locate a victim, restitution payments will be withheld and may be escheated to the Commonwealth after one year.

Collection of Fines, Cost, and Restitution

It is the duty of the Clerk of Courts Office to collect restitution from defendants and issue payments to victims. If restitution is not paid in full, defendants are required to make monthly payments in accordance to their payment plan. Inconsistent payments or lack of payments may be considered to be a probation violation. As a victim, do not accept any restitution payments directly from the defendant as all payments MUST be made to the Clerk of Courts so that all accounts can be properly credited. 

By viewing the last page of the defendant's docket sheet online you can view the last payment the defendant made, determine if defendant is overdue on payments, and see the balance of restitution due to you. 

Has Your Address Changed?

If you are a victim and need to change your address, complete the Change of Address form.   This form will notify the Victim Witness Department and the Clerk of Courts Office of your address change.  You may be contacted for verification purposes.

A Change of Address form must be completed and submitted by the person whose address is to be changed. It may be submitted in person at the Clerk of Courts Office or complete the form online and submit via email.

To complete the form online click the Change of Address below:

Victim: Change of Address Form